Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Road Trip Playlist

Once you're a veteran at taking road trips you come to understand the importance of a good playlist. I've driven to Illinois, Georgia, Maryland, Delaware, Las Vegas twice, and Western New York countless times, and I've learned music selections can make or break a trip for sure. The first time I drove to Las Vegas we started every day by listening to Boston's debut album. Epic. On that trip I remember that the truck we were driving didn't have an auxiliary input for my iPod, so we had to rely on an iTrip which tuned the music to an unused FM station of our choosing. Not the best option, but it got the job done. The worst part was that it kept killing the battery of my iPod.

Anyway, last week I took a 3-day, 1,400+ mile road trip and we decided to keep track of the music that we listened to over the approximately 26 hours of traveling that we did (though the first 3.5 hours I drove in silence). Here is the list, in no particular order.

Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen
Ben Folds Five - The Sound of the Life of the Mind
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
The Beatles - The Beatles (I was giving Tony Beatles fun facts as we were listening to this one)
The Beatles - Abbey Road
The Bee Gees - Number Ones
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love (I keep coming back to this album time and time again)
Earth, Wind, & Fire - The Essential
Hall & Oates - The Very Best Of
James Taylor - The Best Of 1& 2
Jimmy Cliff - Rebirth
Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane
Maroon 5 - It Won't Be Soon Before Long
Maroon 5 - Hands All Over
Maroon 5 - Overexposed ("The good songs, anyway" according to my traveling partner, Tony)
Matchbox 20 - North (We listened to at least twice as we are both currently obsessed with this album)
Michael Jackson - a general mix of Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, and a little more
Rancid - Indestructible
Rob Thomas - Something To Be
Rob Thomas - Cradlesong
The Script - The Script (I love this album. I always associate it with NYC since I first listened to it  on the train)
Stevie Wonder - Ultimate Collection

When I used to drive to and from Geneseo for school I would listen to essentially the same albums every time, but for these longer trips it's great to shake things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment