Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Neurotic Throat: Part II

My throat has been feeling and performing much better lately. A week before Christmas I did an In The Pocket show on Friday and a solo/acousitc Mulligan's show on Saturday with no issues at all. However, on Tuesday, December 20, I had a meeting with a speech therapist at the St. Francis Center for Communication Disorders in Poughkeepsie. Ironically, the therapist and I went to the same school for two years about 18 years ago and she somehow recognized me. Craziness.

We had an informal discussion about my throat fatigue and how I sing, and then she conducted some quick tests to determine some things. For example, she had me take a deep breath and say "aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh" for as long as I could, and we did the same thing for "ssssssssssssssssss" and "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz." And believe it or not, it can be an odd feeling to sit in front of one person and hiss at them.

Afterward, we talked about her recommendation: half an hour of voice therapy a week for a few weeks and maybe even two months. Unfortunately, because of our schedules she wont be my regular therapist, but she did give me some hints, tips, and exercises to help protect my voice and improve my breathing. I'll be scheduling my regular sessions after the new year.

I also had a voice lesson scheduled on Thursday, December 22, but that didn't happen due to a Google map fowl-up and then me getting lost. And angry. And throwing my phone against my dashboard. Hard. We're going to reschedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment