Thursday, December 22, 2011

About That Last Post

After I posted the last entry about my performance at The Bitter End, I got a comment from Peter Bliss and he didn't get the same impression that I did. He wrote, "I personally did not feel as you did about your performance. And I can say that the audience responded well to your performance." That's good to hear, and I guess this goes to illustrate the point I made last time, that performers are their own worst critics.

But thinking back, I don't want to leave anyone with the impression that I'm somehow beating myself up about how I felt I performed. I may have been disappointed, but my reaction can be compared to that of a professional athlete: if I feel like I had a bad game, I just shake it off and start preparing for the next one. I had a great performance Friday night with In The Pocket, and I was also happy with my show at Mulligan's on Saturday (thanks in large part to my hecklers Brett, Jeremy, and Jenn - they're in charge of morale).

I've also been asked why I posted my disappointed feelings at all, and the answer is simple: because it's real. We live in a world dominated by Facebook and Twitter where people are trying to look their best, most successful, and wittiest to others looking in on their lives. BUt I think everyone who reads this blog, comes to my shows, buys my CDs, is on my mailing list, or has contributed to the new album is a part of my career and I think you can relate when things don't go 100% the way I would like them to. Music is my job, and just like I'm sure you have them at your job there are highs, lows, and in-betweens. That is why I wrote that post, and why I occasionally comment on a songwriting roadblock or frustration in the studio. That's life. That's what all the people say. You're riding high in April, shot down in May. But I know I'm gonna change that tune when I'm back on top - back on top in June.

You like what I just did there?

No comments:

Post a Comment