Wednesday, May 22, 2013

We're Lawbreakers

I've played a lot of gigs. Hundreds, I believe. Indoors, outdoors, large crowds, small crowds, jazz, rock, acoustic - a lot of gigs. But this past Friday with my cover band In The Pocket at the Quiet Man Pub, something happened that had never happened at one of my shows before: somebody called the cops. I feel like it's a rite of passage or something. We were being too loud - rocking it too hard - and someone had had enough.

About 1/3 of the way through the first of two sets (yes, we had barely gotten going), I watched as two police officers came in and began talking to the bartender, who was obviously pissed. This bar has been having live music for as long as I can remember, but recently one of the neighbors has started a battle of noise complaints, and honestly we were a little surprised. I mean, the weekend before a noise complaint was probably justified because the bar was hosting karaoke, but for us? It's Saturday night and we're not "noise." Get a nightlife, already.

Anyway, kept playing, the crowd kept on dancing, and the cops were there for about 4-5 songs. And while I'm sure they enjoyed what they heard (who wouldn't?), they ticketed the bar and were on their way. It unfortunately wasn't a scene from the end of The Beatles' Let It Be with the cops coming and shutting us down, which would've made for a much better story and a much better blog post. But I think it's enough to say that on Friday night the cops were called to our gig. We're officially lawbreakers, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment