Tuesday, June 5, 2012

To Buffalo And Back: Part 2

The last 5 days have been a bit on the hectic side. For the past two months I've been organizing an appreciation/retirement dinner for my three high school music teachers; one of them is retiring so we decided to celebrate the 15 years that they've worked together. The dinner was Friday night, so I was running around Thursday and Friday making sure everything was ready for it, then attending it. It came off really well, and I'm happy that a good number of people came out to honor and give thanks to these three teachers who have meant so much to a lot of people. We ate dinner, jammed on some music, and enjoyed cake. (And to top it off, I got to watch Johan Santana complete the first no-hitter in New York Mets' history at the bar in the club!)

On Saturday, In The Pocket played a wedding at Shadow Lawn in High Falls, NY - cool place (a converted barn), good music, great food (New World Home Cooking), and a very appreciative crowd. We only wish we could've played more for them. See, when we play a bar or outdoor show, we're used to playing 2-3 hours. But at a wedding there is so much going on that we're lucky if we play an hour and a half.

On Sunday, I got up before 6AM on about four and a half hours of sleep, loaded into a car with my parents and drove almost 6 hours to go to my grandfather's 90th birthday party in Lockport, NY (outside Buffalo). Like I said last week, I've driven the NYS Thruway so many times that I can do it almost with my eyes closed. My dad was driving this time, but at one point I opened my eyes and immediately knew that we were in Herkimer - no road sign necessary. And the party was mostly a success despite the massive rain that was falling at times. But that's why my uncles got a tent, of course. The party was at 2PM, and up until then all I had eaten was a banana, so I started to house the chips, pretzels, veggies, and dips, along with the Labatt Blue Light. Then the real food arrived; BBQ chicken, ribs, mac & cheese, baked beans (no thanks), salad, and cornbread from Chiavetta's. Then cake. Exhausted, we spent the night at my uncle's, then drive home yesterday.

At this point I've eaten cake the past 4 days. I need a run.

No comments:

Post a Comment