Monday, February 6, 2012

Ken Connolly & the New York Giants

It's been an odd couple of weeks - mainly because I have had no gigs with In The Pocket. We're on a short break where we have 4 weeks between shows, and to be honest it feels weird to have so many Friday and Saturday nights free. What the hell is a person supposed to do with these nights if you're not playing music?

However, I'm currently working on a new 3-song EP by singer/songwriter Ken Connolly. Ken and I met when we shared a bill at the Chance in July 2009, and so he's come into the studio to do some recording. The first song we did was an acoustic number that we recorded and mixed in August. Then due to the flooding we had at the studio and scheduling issues we were unable to get back to do the remaining two tunes until a couple of weeks ago. But get back we did.

We got together some musicians that we know - Chris Snykus on drums, Ben Basile on bass, Tony Basile on trombone, and Will Smith on sax - and we did some recording. We recorded a 3-part horn section for one of the songs, and it was a challenge because there were no written music. I had to play the trumpet line from memory and then write out the harmonies for the other instruments on the fly. But I'm happy with the way it came out and it sounds really good!

We actually finished up the recording yesterday afternoon before the Super Bowl (Ken is a big Giants fan so there was no chance of missing the game), and now Seth Rivers is going to mix it down in the next couple of weeks. To be honest, working on someone else's recordings was a great mental break from working on my own. I can get a bit...OCD about my stuff. Just a bit. But what about that game! It was the first Super Bowl I watched in probably 3 years and it was great. I felt the halftime show was a bit unwheIming despite the immense production of it, but that's how I am. I'm a huge Springsteen fan and even thought his halftime show was kinda eh. Always a critic. Anyway, I ate a bunch of food that I shouldn't have yesterday and will now enjoy the leftovers.

P.S. This was my favorite commercial from the game - http://youtu.be/STb6ZSo5CPw.

No comments:

Post a Comment