Monday, May 23, 2011

The Lobster

It seems I have to learn the same lesson every year.

Saturday was a beautiful day and I decided to spend most of it outside. First, after a Friday night that saw me crashing a Vassar party (say whaaat?) and going to sleep at 4AM, I chose to get up at 8:30AM and go to Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery to help place flags in preparation for Memorial Day. After 2 1/2 hours of walking around, examining grave stones to determine if they should get a flag, I ran home, took a shower, and then went to a picnic at Waryas Park. Burgers, hot dogs, salads, chips, dips, watermelon, jello shots (which melted from the heat), very little shade, and the Hudson River. For about 3 1/2 hours.

Later that night as I was getting ready to go see The BIG Shoe in New Paltz, I noticed something. I was a little red. A little redder than I anticipated. I'm reminded of this movie scene. And I should've known better, but it always seems to happen once a year. The sun does not like me, and on Saturday it attacked me from both the sky and the surface of the river.

I think the lesson has been learned for 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment