Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The $100 Offer

Saturday night my cover band In The Pocket played Bacchus in New Paltz. Good show. I hope you where there. Anyway, immediately after we played our encore a very...attractive (hot) blond woman with a slight foreign accent came right up next to me and started asking into my ear if I knew a certain song, which she then started singing. I recognized it, and thought it was some kind Irish or Scottish folk song, but I didn't really know it. She then asked me if I would sing it with her. I was reluctant, because we had just finished and turned off the equipment, and I didn't want the night to turn into some kind of drunken karaoke party (that's reserved for my show at Mulligan's). So, she says, "What if I gave you $100?" I responded, "Well, for $100 I guess I would sing just about anything." Off she went.

She came back with $80, and I laughingly told her that I didn't want her money. She persisted. I told her I hoped she enjoyed the show, but that I didn't want her money. I turned around and she literally put it in my back pocket. I took it out and gave it back to her. The guy she was with (boyfriend? husband?) then gave her another $20. "We're from New York and we want to have a good time." Listen, I'm flattered that you really want me to sing this song that I don't know with you, but you've had a lot to drink and I don't want your money. Believe me when I say that she used every form of female persuasion to get me to sing with her, but I held my ground. I hope you had fun, but I don't think it's going to happen. She was pretty disappointed.

Then she asked me what I was doing later.

No comments:

Post a Comment