Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Jason Segal vs. Productivity

If you haven't seen it, Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a great movie. If I remember correctly, I saw it for the first time in April 2009, and it was my first real introduction to Jason Segel. I've since become a big fan of his work on How I Met Your Mother and in movies like I Love You, Man, but Forgetting Sarah Marshall was the first.

And so I'm always put into this difficult position when I have things that I want to accomplish (like writing, or website updates, or whatever) and Forgetting Sarah Marshall comes on TV. Right now it's on FX. What am I supposed to do? It's a well-known fact that it's one of those movies that I can watch anywhere, anytime. But I have these things to do - specifially, I want to write this blog. Resistance is futile, but maybe I can block out the movie long enough to make this happen.

One of the ways that I'm working to make the new album stand head and shoulders above my first is an element that simply was not an option in the winter/spring of 2007: strings. There were a few tunes on A Thin Line that I defintely could have heard strings on, but money and time just didn't make it possible. But this time, obstacles be damned. Brian Zeller, keyboardist and trombone player for the BIG Shoe, is working on string arrangements for a handful of the new tunes, and we talked today about how it's going. I should be getting my first glimpse at them sometime this week, and I'm excited to see what he's come up with. Other than that, we're working on drum editing and bass parts. The plan is to start guitars and keyboards in early February.

I'm also working on the video for the "Endless Sky," which I will be releasing in a few days. Busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment